Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pearl (not Janis Joplin)

   I believe our farmers and ranchers have one of the lowest paying and toughest jobs in the world. We (all farmers and ranchers) work 24 hours a day and 7 days a week in most cases, and barely make ends meet - dying young and leaving worn-out. My ancestors were farmers and ranchers, going back five generations in Oklahoma - and so am I. We're a dying breed though, as most young people don't follow in their parents footsteps anymore. It's for the best, I'm sure, as what self-respecting young person would want to work hard for very little compensation. One farmer/rancher father once lamented that he wished his daughters had married farmers. My question would have been "Why? Don't you know that they're much better off?". I think he knew that, but still... his heart was in farming a ranching.
   I just had to do one of the hardest ranch jobs I've ever done. I know it's not difficult for many people, but it was for me:
   Pearl was born in 1981, down on Rush Creek in southern Garvin County. She was a fine looking white brahman/angus cross, and had several brothers and sisters. Pearl grew up and produced dozens of calves, all for the benefit of one rancher. She never complained about the harsh living conditions (Oklahoma weather) and never wanted much grass. She never wanted anything in return for providing food for thousands over the years.
   Pearl was 37 years old when I found her Tuesday evening, July 24, just before dark. She was down and couldn't get up and near death. I tried to make her comfortable during her dying hours by giving her a little water (although she couldn't drink) and rolling her over. She just looked up at me with big brown eyes as if to say "Thank You, but I'm leaving soon." I then left her for home. I was sure that no coyote would end her life last night as her 500 lb. bull calf was left to stand guard. I was right, as she was still alive this morning, July 25, but I now knew what I must do. I was not going to let her bake in the afternoon sun, and die sometime later. It was the toughest job I've ever had to do... but I know she is now in heaven. God Bless Pearl...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment