Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Lindsay HS Athletics - Track and Field

   While the Lindsay Leopards and Leopardettes of Lindsay, Oklahoma are best known for their football and girls basketball teams across history, they have also had great athletes in several other sports. Even though the stand-out athletes in sports such as Track and Field are few and far between, they still exist. As an alumnus of Lindsay High School and a Leopard (once a Leopard, always a Leopard) I've written several columns about Lindsay High School athletics, naming the top performers in football (the 1970's), girls basketball, and boys basketball. I, as a Leopard alumnus, participated in football, basketball, and Track during my days at LHS, although by Leopard standards I was only average. I became a high school coach in both football and track and field for Duncan High School after graduating college. While I was only average as a participant in those sports, I may have been slightly above average as the head track and field coach at DHS. Our boys track teams at DHS won three state titles, was state runner-up one time, and was in the top 8 five times during the nine years I coached. Several Leopard alumni suggested we now publish a column naming the stand-out track and field Leopard alumni, for both boys and girls. If all the track coaches at LHS over the years, and all Leopard alumni with knowledge of former track athletes at LHS will send me their suggestions for the best girl and boy track stars in each event (100 yd/mtr, 110 m./120 yd hurdles, 200m/220yd, 180 yd hurdles, 300 IM hurdles, 400m/440yd, 800m/880yd, 1600m/mile, 3200m/2 mile, 400/440 relay, 800/880 relay, 1600m/mile relay, shot, discus, high jump, long jump, pole vault) we'll publish the results in your Lindsay News and on KBLP Radio. This listing of the all-time greatest track and field athletes at LHS will bring back a lot of memories for us old-timers, so please send me your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment